So, I have a new online dating website for you to take a look. Actually, it’s not new and is a really big one, but many people haven’t heard about it yet. This is why I’m doing this OKCupid review so that more guys like me check the website.
What is OKCupid?
It’s an online dating website with over 50 million users worldwide. The company was launched in 2001 and is targeted on people looking for serious relationships. It’s known for its matching feature when a sign-up questioner’s results are used to match users with those that had responded in a similar way.
- The majority of users are between their 25 and 35
- 60/40 male vs female members
- The the majority are heterosexuals while there are still many gay and bi users
- People here are both looking for long-term relationships and for casual dating (you choose your dating goals during the sign-up questionnaire).
The match algorithm is based on your answers during the sign-up questionnaire. After the system has your answers, it looks for people who meet those criteria.
The website allows contacting those you have liked your profile. This is done to ensure the mutual interest between the members.
A bit like Tinder, you swipe left or right when you see new member offered by the website.
See Who Likes You
This feature entitles you to see who has added you to the favourites’ list. This is only available to users who pay for the A-Lists Premium Subscription package.
Free OKCupid version vs Paid vervices
The website offers both free and paid service. Free version of the app includes the following features:
- Messaging other members
- Making the favorites list
- Searching for other members and using search filters
- Using the Double Take feature
As you see, those features are quite extensive. However, you can get even more when opting for a paid subscription.
Such features are:
- Being able to see members who ‘liked’ you
- Notifications about reading your messages by other users
- Advanced search filters
- Use Auto-Boost to promote your profile
- Ensure your messages are seen first, with the Message Priority function
- Participating in the public chats and forums
- Not having ads
|3 months||$35.85 ($11.95/month)||$89.70 ($29.90/month)|
|6 months||$47.70 ($7.95/month)||$149.40 ($24.90/month)|
Signing up process
Registration on OKCupid takes the following steps:
1.When clicking on ‘Join OKC’, choose to register with Facebook or with your email address. If you want to keep your account separated from your social media, chose the second option.
2,Complete the questionnaire. Here you will need to provide the basic information about you, including what you are looking for – ‘New Friends’, ‘Hookups’, ‘Short Term Dating’ or Long Term Dating’.
This is all, and after doing the above two steps, you can start looking for the perfect match.
The desktop site is bright and easy to navigate but OKCupid app is even easier to use. On the app as well as on the desktop version, all the links and buttons are located at the bottom of the screen. This allows to view profiles and photos without having to scroll to the top of the page.
However, the app is more handy for using the Double Take feature. Swiping left on a profile will instantly discard it, while swiping right will present you with a pop-up window, ready for you to send a message.
What is good
- Free messaging
- Free viewing other members’ profiles
- Free searching with a search filters
What is not good
- Members can text other users only if they ‘like’ each other
- Users in low-populated locations may find it hard to get a match
- Presence of fake profiles
- Auto-renewal of subscription